You are currently browsing the Canvas Holidays Ltd campsite bookings website. Canvas Holidays Ltd, Village Center and the wider Vacalians Group are committed to taking the very best care of your personal data.
Data Protection Policy
We understand the importance of your personal data (hereafter “Personal data”) and are committed to protecting it.
Who is the data controller for your Personal data?
Canvas Holidays Ltd, a limited company with the registration number GB 215 66 80 63, headquartered at 1 St Peter’s Square, Manchester, M2 3DE, UK.
What personal data do we collect?
We collect the Personal data listed below to provide you with the best possible user experience on our Website. Items marked with an asterisk when we collect them are required in order to provide you with a service.
Data we collect and process includes your title, family name, given name, date of birth, telephone number, email address, secure/encrypted password, postal address, payment card data, IP address, connection and browsing data, order history, preferences and interests, campsite pages viewed, incidents, complaints and location data.
In what circumstances?
- Creating an account on our Website,
- Booking a holiday via our Website (managing payments, costs and fees; taking payments and collecting debts),
- Browsing our Websites, and viewing products and favourite products,
- Taking part in a competition,
- Writing a comment,
- Managing our relations with you (informing you of changes to our terms and conditions or confidentiality policy; asking you to give a review or take part in a survey),
- Registering for our newsletter,
- Requesting promotional emails,
- Communicating certain items of your data to third parties (tour operators, works councils, certain partners, etc.),
- Using certain server logs.
What is the lawful basis on which we process your Personal data?
When you use our Website, you provide us with information about you. We will only collect the data we need to fulfil the purpose(s) set out below.
- Sharing Personal data between Vacalians Group companies (for order administration and CRM).
- Storing payment card data following a payment: when you make a payment on our Website, it is secured via our SSL (Secure Socket Layer) certificate.
We do not collect this data in full - we only record a payment identification number together with the first 6 and last 4 digits of your card number, so that you can recognise the card used to make the payment.
- Using your account: we use the data we collect to personalise the features and content in your account.
- Managing holidays: we require your data to manage your bookings, perform the administration for our relationship with you, handle complaints, etc.
- Personalising our services (emails and product recommendations): we use your Personal data to personalise the services we believe may interest you and the communications we send you.
- Competitions: we need your information to enter you into our competitions and send you your prize if you win.
- By email: to follow up on your requests.
- Newsletters: on our Website, we collect your permission to send you newsletters with information about our destinations and news from our campsites and partners. By registering for our newsletter, you can receive reminders about all our offers and services, and also the various events happening at our campsites. You can of course unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link provided.
- “Tell a friend” programme: we may ask you whether you want to tell us about a friend or family member who could be interested in our products and services. In this case, we will ask you for this person’s name and contact details. As part of the programme, we will then send them one single communication about products and services that may interest them. This data will be used once only and will not be stored.
- Telephone calls: with your permission, we may record telephone calls between you and our staff for training purposes and to improve the service we provide.
How long will we retain your data?
We will use and retain your Personal data within the company for administrative and sales purposes for an amount of time determined according to the purposes for which the data is collected and processed. It will then be archived, with restricted access, for an additional amount of time decided in accordance with the relevant legislation before it is deleted.
Data shared within Vacalians Group
5 years from last use
5 to 10 years
Retention of payment card details following a payment
15 months from the date the payment was made
Intermediary archiving for a period of 13 months, for use as evidence should the transaction be contested. This period can be extended to 15 months to cover the use of differed debit cards
Use of your account on our Website
5 years from last use
5 to 10 years
Purchase of a holiday
Administration for a holiday
5 years from last use
5 to 15 years
Messages sent by email (electronic mailing, newsletter, reply to a specific request)
3 years from last use
3 years from last use
For the duration of the competition
Analytical documents are kept for one year
Who is the recipient of your data?
We ask all third parties to keep your Personal data safe and process it in accordance with the law. Our service providers and third-party partners are required to use your Personal data in accordance with our instructions, i.e. strictly within the confines of the purposes outlined above.
Data shared within Vacalians Group:
The data that we collect from you will be shared with other subsidiaries of Vacalians Group for our customer lists. For further information, for requests relating to the Canvas Holidays brand, please write to Canvas Holidays, East Port House, Dunfermline, KY12 7JG, United Kingdom, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sharing data with third parties and sub-contractors:
We may communicate your data to our technical, commercial or payment partners. This is however limited by contractual specifications.
What are your rights regarding the processing of your Personal data and how can you exercise them?
What are your rights?
In accordance with the French data protection law of 6 January 1978 amended by the law of 6 August 2004, and the European General Data Protection Regulation which entered into force on 25 May 2018, you have the right to access, rectify or erase your data, and the right to decide what happens to your data if you die. In addition, you have the right to object to your data being processed and shared.
More detailed information:
- Right of access: you can obtain confirmation that your data has been processed and in what circumstances you can access it.
- Right to rectification: you have the right to ask us, Canvas Holidays Ltd, to correct inaccurate data in our database.
- Right to erasure: you have the right to erase all your information in our database, other than the data we require to comply with our legal obligations.
- Right to restrict processing: you have the right to require us to restrict processing while we check the accuracy of data to which you are objecting because it has been processed unlawfully, or which you need to establish, exercise or defend a legal claim.
- Right to object: you have the right to object to the processing of your data for personal reasons, except where there is a legitimate, compelling reason for us to process it which overrides your rights and freedoms. In addition, if your Personal data is processed for the purposes of direct marketing, you have an absolute right to object.
- Right to data portability: you have the right to have your Personal data, in a commonly used format, transferred to another data processor.
- The right to not be subject to automated decision-making: you have the right not to be the subject of a decision made solely by automated means without any human intervention, that has legal effects concerning or affecting you, except where this decision is required to enter into or perform a contract or is authorised by law.
- Post-mortem rights: you have the right to decide what happens to your data if you die. In the absence of any instructions from you, your data will be deleted after a certain period of time.
How to exercise your rights
We are actively working to improve the service we provide in this area, to enable you to exercise your rights more easily.
Currently, you can contact us to withdraw your consent or exercise your rights by:
- writing to Vacalians, Délégué à la protection des données, 547 Quai des Moulins, BP 34, Espace Don Quichotte, 34201 Sète, France
- or emailing DPO@vacalians.com
If you contact us for this reason, please include your family name, given name, email and postal address, and specify the reason for your request and/or the right you wish to exercise. To ensure that your Personal data is fully protected, we may ask you to provide proof of your identity by sending us a copy of a valid identification document showing your signature, so that we can check your identity. You should also indicate where you would like us to send our reply. We will reply to requests as soon as possible, and within a maximum of 30 days.
There will be no charge for this process. However, we may ask you to cover reasonable costs if your request is clearly unfounded, recurrent or excessive. We may also refuse to honour your request in such circumstances.
How do we go about making amendments to our data protection policy?
We, Canvas Holidays Ltd and Village Center, reserve the right to amend and update our Website, its contents and these terms and conditions, in particular to reflect a change in the law. We will display the new policy on the Website. We recommend that you check regularly to see whether our data protection policy has been amended.
Will your data be transferred outside the European Union?
Your data communicated via the Website may be transferred outside the European Union for the purposes outlined above. When you make a booking for one of our campsites outside the EU, we will need to transfer your Personal data to our suppliers outside the EU so that they can process your booking. This usage will be limited to processing that is strictly necessary, but the protection standards covering your data will not be as high as those in place within the European Union. Consequently, we need your specific consent to transfer your data.
- We will only transfer your Personal data to countries which are considered by the European Commission to provide an adequate level of protection for personal data. For further details, please see European Commission: Adequacy of the protection of personal data in non-EU countries.
- When we use certain service providers, we may use specific contracts approved by the European Commission to give your data the same level of protection that it enjoys in Europe. For further details, please see European Commission: Model contracts for the transfer of personal data to third countries.
- When we use service providers in the USA, we only transfer data to them if they have joined Privacy Shield, a programme which requires them to offer an equivalent level of protection for Personal data shared between Europe and the USA. For further details, please see European Commission: EU-US Privacy Shield.
If you require further information on the specific mechanisms used to transfer your Personal data outside the EEA, please write to Vacalians, Délégué à la protection des données, 547 Quai Des Moulin, BP 34, Espace Don Quichotte, 34201 Sète, France.
Do we collect Personal data from minors?
When you book a holiday, we ask for the family name, given name and date of birth of young people aged under 18, in order to check their ages.
Our campsite booking Websites are not designed for use by minors. In addition, young people aged under 13 cannot under any circumstances give consent themselves for the processing of their Personal data. Young people aged between 13 and 16 are required to have their parents’ consent to communicate their Personal data and give permission for it to be processed.
How do we use your Personal data in relation to social media?
We, Village Center and Canvas Holidays Ltd, use various social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Google +, YouTube and Instagram. There may therefore be exchanges of data between us and the social media. For more information, please refer to the data protection policies of these social media to find out how data is distributed between us and them. You can also object to your data being shared in this way by configuring your access to your data directly on the social media you use.
We, Canvas Holidays Ltd and Village Center, collect certain data on our own behalf, such as social media page audiences, information relating to your interests and traffic generated to our Websites, in particular to sell our holidays.
Who is our Data Protection Officer?
We have appointed a Data Protection Officer (DPO) to answer all your data protection questions as promptly as possible. You can contact the DPO:
- by emailing DPO@vacalians.com
- or by writing to Vacalians, Délégué à la protection des données, 547 Quai des Moulins, BP 34, Espace Don Quichotte, 34201 Sète, France.
Don’t forget to provide your family name, given name and postal address so that the DPO can reply to you.
You can also obtain further information by using the contact page on our Website.